The Eucharist is a gift that is given to the child as they grow in their faith. Our Pflaum Gospel Weeklies “Together in Jesus” prepares the child to receive this gift through faith formation groups and retreats. First Reconciliation and First Communion normally happen in 2nd grade. A child must have completed First grade faith formation or Catholic school with good attendance to be eligible for these sacraments.
To be eligible for the sacraments of First Reconciliation/First Holy Communion, please follow the below guidelines.
Each child registering for these Sacraments will need to:
1) Supply a copy of the Baptismal Certificate with registration for First Penance and First Holy Communion.
2) Be a registered, active family member of the parish
3) Be in 2nd grade or above having satisfactorily completed the previous year of Faith Formation.
4) Be registered to attend one of the following:
1) Mary Our Queen’s Faith Formation classes
2) Catholic School Religious Education classes
3) Accredited Home School Religious Education program
In addition, parents are expected to attend the following with their child:
1) First Reconciliation Prep will be made up of 3 classes plus a retreat.
First Reconciliation Classes (Student only) – November 7, 14 , 21 and December 5 at 6 – 7:30pm
First Reconciliation Retreat (Student and parent) – January 20 at 9:30am – 12:30pm
First Reconciliation – Saturday, January 27 at 10:00am
2) First Communion Prep will be made up of 3 classes plus a retreat.
First Communion Classes (Student only) – March 5, 12, 19, and 26 6-7:30pm
First Communion Retreat (student and parent) – April 27 9:30am – 12pm
First Communion Rehearsal – Saturday, May 18, 10:00am
First Communion – Sunday , May 19, 11:00am Mass
Children who haven’t received the Sacrament of Baptism and/or are entering the church as an older candidate for First Penance and First Holy Communion will need to work directly with the DRE through our Christian Initiation program.